top of page

Overseas students



  1. All students without the right of abode/right to land in Hong Kong MUST apply for a student visa for the purpose of education in Hong Kong. Students who use travel visa or travel endorsement to participate in any classes, tutorials and other academic-related activities will be regarded as illegal. It is the responsibility of individual students to make appropriate visa arrangements before they come to Hong Kong. 

  2. If you are currently in Hong Kong with a visa and wish to apply for another student visa directly with the Hong Kong Immigration Department (ImmD), you may select this option during the registration process at the HKU visa system. In this case, the Admissions Office would only provide the online sponsorship letter that is required from ImmD. You will have to keep track of the approval progress with ImmD directly, pay and collect the visa permit on your own upon the visa approval.

  3. If you are holding a Chinese passport with permanent residency in another country, you may apply as an overseas student. Please select “Overseas” during the registration process at the HKU visa system.

  4. Chinese passport holders currently residing in an overseas country may apply for a student visa as an overseas student and enter Hong Kong directly from that country. However, this is only applicable to students who would study in an Exchange or Summer or Short-Term Visiting programme in Hong Kong and, they should prove to have the strength to return to that residing country. Full-time degree students must return to the Mainland and use the “Exit-entry Permit” as their travel document for studying here.

  5. For any documents which are not in English and Chinese (especially the financial statement), a certified translation in Chinese or English is required.

  6. The completed ID995A form, together with the full set of application documents should be sent to the Admissions Office (G14, G/F, Main Building, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong) by courier/registered mail. 

  7. If you are a Mainland citizen, you should apply here or contact here.

  8. Please click here to assess the application timeline. You may also click Here for more information on the visa application

      procedures and frequently asked questions.

  1. A completed ID 995A form - Download Form - Sample Form

  2. A copy of your complete set of offer of admission

  3. A copy of your passport

  4. A copy of your CV or resume

  5. Copies of financial proofs (to demonstrate that you have adequate means to finance your stay in HK) (e.g. latest bank statements in English / Chinese, award letter(s) of financial aid or scholarship, etc.) - Download Financial Supporting Letter Template

Additional documents required:

[For applicants under age of 18]

  • A signed form of nomination of guardian with a copy of parent's passport (and guardian's HKID copy, if any) (one of your parents should authorize a relative / friend in Hong Kong or the University to be your guardian) - Download Form

[For applicants pursuing part-time study]

[For nationals of Afghanistan, Cuba, Laos, Korea (Democratic People's Republic of) or Nepal]
Below extra documents are required:

  • Copies of your academic proofs (e.g. certificates, testimonials, official transcripts, etc.)

  • A signed personal statement on reasons for studying at The University of Hong Kong and plans after completion of studies

  • A copy of your CV or resume

Click below to access the Online Student Visa Application System:
  1. Admissions Office will not be responsible for any delay/cancellation/rejection in your student visa application.

  2. The visa fees paid are non-refundable under all circumstances.

  3. All content in the website may be updated at any time without prior notice.

For enquiries, please click here.

bottom of page