1. Non-local students with limit of stay shorter than the normal duration, or who is required to defer their study period should apply for a student visa extension.

  2. Students are required to submit the application for visa extension to the Extension Section of Hong Kong the Immigration Department (ImmD) within 4 weeks before the expiry of the current student visa

  3. Admissions Office will issue a supporting letter for you to apply at ImmD. Under normal circumstances, the supporting letter will be ready for collection within 3 working days (excluding the day of submission) upon receipt of the complete set of documents via the online application system.

  4. ImmD will normally take around 2-3 weeks to process an extension of student visa. You must be physically in Hong Kong at the time of submission and collection of the new visa label / entry permit.


   5. Application for Extension of Stay in Hong Kong - Special Arrangements

      The Hong Kong Immigration Department (ImmD) has announced the following special arrangements for students outside of Hong

      Kong to apply for extension of stay due to the COVID-19 pandemic.


      Application for an extension of stay may be made through the University of Hong Kong as the visa sponsor through the

      arrangements described below for current students who:

      i) hold a valid entry visa for Hong Kong with limit of stay expiring within 4 weeks or hold an entry visa that has been expired for

        not more than 12 months;

      ii) are not able to return to Hong Kong to submit the application.


      Applications are to be submitted online.  You should refer to the application procedure below for detailed instructions.

   6. Part-time students should apply for a new student visa instead of an extension. It is the responsibility of individual students           to make appropriate visa extension arrangements before they can continue to study in HKSAR.

  1. A completed form to confirm on your study status for student visa extension (to be completed by your Faculty/Department) - Download Form

  2. A copy of your HKU student card

  3. A copy of your Hong Kong Identity card (if applicable)

  4. A copy of passport/travel document pages showing your personal particulars

  5. A copy of passport/travel document pages with your latest visa/entry permit label/arrival stamp/landing slip/extension of stay label in the Hong Kong

Procedure for Application to Extension of Stay Whilst Outside of Hong Kong

  1. Submit an application via the Student Visa Application System via the link at the bottom of this page

  2. Complete the online application and upload the relevant documents including a duly completed ID91 form and a letter explaining the details of your inability to return to Hong Kong to submit the application for processing

  3. Settle the non-refundable application fee of HKD 550 via a payment link sent to you within 7 days of completion of the application and upload of all required documents

  4. Submit hard copies of all relevant documents by post to the University of Hong Kong (instructions on postal arrangement will be provided later)

The University of Hong Kong, as your visa sponsor, will submit your application for extension of stay to the ImmD for processing.  Upon approval by the ImmD, your visa/entry permit label will be collected on your behalf by the University and couriered to your designated address.

Click below to access the Online Student Visa Application System:
  1. Admissions Office will not be responsible for financial and any other loss arise from application failure or delay due to incorrect information or documents provided by the applicant.

  2. All content in the website may be updated at any time without prior notice.

For enquiries, please click here.